Monday, July 4

I want to be a Jew for Jesus

Here in Greeley, we have one of the biggest best parades in the country for the 4th of July. In my family, the 4th is about the biggest thing there is. If Christmas didn't last a month, the 4th would easily win any competition around here.

This morning, as I sat on the parade route for the 18th time of my life, I watched the same people on the same floats promoting the same things as always, but there is one group inparticular that always touches a special place in my heart. Every year, the Jews for Jesus always dance in the parade. Their float is simple and so is their message: A pickup with a revolving banner with star of davids and the words "Jesus is the Messiah" in the back and absolutely crazy people dancing to praise music shouting and yelling. I think these people are the most memorable out of everyone.

Today, the thing most prominent that they were shouting was simply this "Freedom!! Thank God for Freedom." When they came down the street, i was so glad to have my sunglasses becuase I could not help but begin to cry. The passion of these people and thier unmistakable joy and sincerity is so encouraging to me. They always have the same thing written on their truck every year, i can't remember it word for word, but it is something about loving the middle east and allowing God to make peace there. The overwhelming thread of everything they do is God's love, God's forgiveness. They get this thing about caring for others right.

On top of my normal july 4th festivities, I also attended the wedding of one of my very best friends from Grace. On my drive home tonight, I saw a bumper sticker that was so great, so true, so important. It was black and it simply read: "God Bless All Nations." It was such a great reminder on such a day as this. Who are we in America to see ourselves superior to any other of God's creation? We are all God's, he has created us all. I think the slogan "God Bless America" is good in its own right, but i think too often we assume that we have some monopoly on God. The best thing for America is that God is providing what is best for the entire world. If things are good here, but terrible anywhere outside of our borders, i think that we need to question some of our practices, don't you?

So, Happy Independence Day. God Bless all Nations. What a gift of grace it is that we are involved in this blessing at all.

God Bless All Nations

No comments: