" 'Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin' -- they simly are! Think of the sea, the air, the sun, the stars, the moon-- all of these simply are as well-- yet what a ministry and service they render on our behalf! So often we impair Go'ds designed influence, which he desires to exhibit through us, because of our own conscious efforts to be consistend and useful. Jesus said there is only one way to devlop and grow spirtiuall, and that is through focusing and concentrating on God. In essence, Jesus was saying. 'Do not worry about being of use to others; Simply believe on me.' In other words, pay attention to the Source, and out of you 'will flow rivers of living water' (John 7:38). WE cannot discover the source of our natural life through common sense and reasoning, and Jesus is teaching here that grwoth in our spiritual life come not from focuing directly on it, but from concentrating on our Father in heaven. Our heavenly FAther knows our circumstances, and if we stay focused on Him, instead of our circumstances, we will grow spiritually-- just as 'the liles of the feild.'
The pople who influence us the most are not those who deatin us with the continual talk, but those who live their lives like the stars in the sky and the ' liles of the field'-- simply and unaffectedly. Those are the lives that mold and shape us.
If you wnt to be of use to GOd, maintain the proper relationship with Jesus Christ by staring focused on Him, and He will make use of you every minute you live-- yet you will be unaware, on the conscious level of your life, that you are being used of Him."
I recieved Oswald Chamber's devotional book, "My Utmost for his Highest" almost exactly one year as a graduation gift. I'll admit that I don't read it often, but many times when I struggle with anything to say to Abba, or I feel this brick wall, I go to this book and it always seems to have something deep and profound to hit me right where I am at and I love it.
And today was no exception. I've been struggling a great deal lately. Maybe just with the transition from dorms and having people all around me to just going to work all day and only having a few people around me. Its been a bit lonely in comparison. And I've been struggling to assess where I am spiritually and if I might be doing well enough to merit some sort of goodness. Maybe this book is always encouraging to me becuase I need it most when I am trying my hardest to think through my spirtual state, and it seems more often that not Chambers is just saying,"The key is to stop thinking and live..." So that is what I shall do...
Thursday, May 18
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment