First of all-- after thinking about it for months and months, I finally got a white board to put up in my studio space so I can actually write my thoughts down as well as put up some images that keep me thinking in fresh ways. It is exciting to see my little home becoming more and more mine as I figure out what I want and how to make it work. So here is a little snap-aroo of the space with the new little inspiration board:

THEN-- you have probably noticed this fabulous painting there. this is something I am especially excited about. I don't think it is quite finished, but I think it is so beautiful that I need to share it anyway. For the last three years or so, I've been extremely fascinated and awe-struck b the beautiful colors and stillness of winter, but haven't quite gotten to the place in my work where I feel I can do it justice.... until now! I hope this will be the first of a series of winter celebrations. Stay tuned for that. Here is a little image close up so for a little more of a drool-fest for you.

I have also been working on a few other new-ish things that have come out of a lot of my journey down into the depths. I've been thinking about the relationship between the inner and the outer landscape and think I might try to do a bit more "inner landscapes" in conjunction with the more "outer" ones. We'll see how I end up feeling....
Last but surely not least, I have been thinking of starting something of a new project. Today, as I went through some old things while setting up the new addition to my studio, I came across an old pile of self-portraits. Back in the Spring of 2008 when I took figure painting, we were required to complete one self-portrait every day for the entire semester. Needless to say, I dropped off with that sometime around spring break, but I often think about that assignment and want to take it up again. After looking through all fourty-some that I do have, I could definitely see the growth that was taking place over the course of the semester and was wishing that I had stuck with it. So I've decided to try it again, in part out of curiosity to see how much I've grown as an artist since then. Something else that I found remarkable was the realization that this was the semester that I started wearing glasses, and it seems a bit telling that in only one or two of the paintings and drawings I am actually wearing them. This might also be why I quit doing it... haha... ANYWAY-- here is the first installment of this project. I don't think I am going to try to do it everyday, but maybe once a week or something. We will also see how I feel about that...

No comments:
Post a Comment