first something I need to acknowledge: today was a long day. I have already spent six hours today doing creative work and I need to go back to campus tonight to do at least another hour and or an hour and a half drawing. I also have two other classes that need attention tonight. I have had little to eat today and I am fighting a cold. I just finished reading an article for my comp class about how the boomers' montra about how a college education is the only road to security is turning out to be an obsolete myth in our age in which "the economy grows faster, but wages remain flat." I was talking to my sister a few days ago about how we live in this society in which a college education is preached more than the bible, but its an unfair system of forcing 18 year-old children to spend four years paying for the prestige a university gets from a tenured professor who does a crappy job at actually teaching becuase all they are really here is to research anyway.
I feel like an apple being squeezed through a strainer today. And somehow I have chosen this for myself and so I have to figure it all out all the while just trying to breathe out of my nose like a normal perosn. And yes-- for the most part, I have chosen this path for myself. I could take less credits. But then who would pay for all of those extra years of school? Or I could just choose to do something with my life that didn't require a college education. But what if the thing I want to do requires this? It seems nearly impossible to live life actually breathing the air we were made to breathe because of this stupid system we have locked ourselves into. Isn't this the way of society.
So there are the thoughts. Dinnner time.
Wednesday, September 6
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment